What is a glycolic peel?
Joanne Willcox Clinics are an authorised consultant for the Jan Marini Skin Management System and Jan Marini glycolic peels. Glycolic acid which is derived from sugar cane is brushed onto the face, neck, décolletage and backs of hands to remove the “glue” that holds the older, rougher and dryer skin on the surface. When it removes that top layer of skin, the fresh, new layer is visible. It’s this layer that’s without damage and which looks fresher. A Jan Marini glycolic resurfacing gel is brushed onto the skin before the Jan Marini glycolic gel exfoliator is applied and left on for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes the product is wiped off with a cool flannel which takes the heat out of the skin and a clay mask is applied to comfort the skin and reduce redness.
There are a number of non-surgical options available today. We're all used to the incredible claims made by the big cosmetic companies in their adverts, and most of us have tried a few wrinkle creams, found they don't work and got a bit cynical about the whole concept of 'anti - aging' cosmetics.
However, there are some products that really do work to change the appearance and sometimes even the structure of your skin and they're known as cosmeceuticals . The name is a blend of 'cosmetic' and 'pharmaceutical '. The reason for that is because they contain ingredients that have cosmetic benefits for your skin At pharmaceutical grade levels, meaning they actually have an impact on the dermis. These ingredients include hyaluronic acid, AHAs, vitamin C.
All at a much stronger level than you see on high street brands As these products are powerful you really need a thorough consultation with a skin care specialist.
People who have glycolic acid peels are often amazed with the results – they look younger, they often notice their skin is quite a bit less oily and is much clearer with less visible fine lines and wrinkles.
The treatment is pain free, patients can apply makeup immediately and resume normal activities. A course of six glycolic peels are recommended for good results and a course of 18 glycolic peels will give optimum results.
For further information, read the Jan Marini Peel Brochure.
What are the benefits?
Glycolic peels can:
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Treat wrinkles caused by sun damage and aging.
- Improve the appearance of mild scars.
- Treat certain types of acne.
- Reduce age spots, freckles, and dark patches (melasma) due to pregnancy or taking birth control pills.
- Improve the look and feel of skin.
Read the Jan Marini Skin Research Aftercare for advice.
Skincare Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any downtime with a glycolic peel?
- Glycolic peels are less invasive than a traditional chemical peel therefore there is no downtime whatsoever. You may have some redness which is temporary.
Do I need to prep my skin before having a glycolic peel?
- It's really important that you use the Jan Marini 5 step skin care management system (purchased from Joanne Willcox) for two weeks to prepare your skin before you have a glycolic peel. This ensures that your skin is ready for the 70% glycolic acid that the peel contains. For best results, you should continue to use the Jan Marini products as part of your daily skincare regime.
Can I purchase the Jan Marini 5 step skin care management system independently rather than from Joanne Willcox?
- No. We purchase the products directly from Jan Marini and know that all ingredients are still active and in date. Jan Marini do not supply to some large organisations that do sell their products so there's no way of knowing if those products are genuine.
Are there circumstances in which I shouldn't have a glycolic peel?
- Yes, during pregnancy you should not have the glycolic peel treatments however, you may continue to use the Jan Marini daily skin care products if you used them prior to being pregnant. There are certain medications that would prevent you from having the treatment too so if you are in any doubt, please feel free to call us for professional advice.
Who else gets glycolic peel treatments?
- Actresses Margot Robbie, Angelica Huston and Pamela Anderson have all said that they have used glycolic peel treatments to get their skin red carpet ready. The Jan Marini skincare brand is also loved by singer and actress Cher; model and actress Abi Clancy, US fashion designer and actress Kristin Cavallari, supermodel Naomi Campbell; and singer, fashion designer and actress Vanessa Williams.
To make a reservation you can click here to visit our Online Booking System.
Jan Marini Skincare
Jan Marini offers award-winning products for excellent results. Women and men of all ages and with skin concerns like UV-damage, wrinkles, pigmentations, rosacea and acne all benefit from Jan Marini skin care. Jan Marini herself is a leader and innovator, committed to continually expanding and improving the professional skin care market.
The products have been allergy tested and approved, and they have not been tested on animals. Jan Marini is a pioneer in the professional skincare market, and before founding Jan Marini Skincare Research she was one of the owners of MD Formulations. Shortly after founding JMSR in 1994, she launched the unique, patented C-ESTA complex. She currently holds several patents.
The Bioglycolic products combines glycolic acid with other proven technological advancements. Jan Marini has created bioglycolic products with ultimate resurfacing ingredients combined with scientific components, creating a unique skincare line. Glycolic acid (or hydroxyacetic acid) is an alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA). AHA can be produced either synthetic or naturally. The glycolic acid that is used in skincare is derived from sugar cane, and is the smallest AHA. It has the capability to penetrate deep into the skin, and dissolve the binding properties of the lipids that keep skin cells together, which can cause acne. Glycolic acid resurfaces the skin’s texture and improves the appearance of acne scarring, fine lines, wrinkles and hyperpigmentation. Studies have shown that it’s also a potent antioxidant that helps fight free radicals.
- Jan Marini’s 5 step skin care management system (standard size) - £280
- Jan Marini’s 5 step skin care management system (starter size) - £165
For more information on Rosalieve, please click here.